Are you all ready for Father's Day? A cup of tea in bed, a big hug or a home-made card are all great ways to say "thank you".
If you're looking for something delicious to bake, to go with the mug of tea, read on for my favourite chocolate cake recipe!
This Tuesday (21st June) is the summer Solstice. It's the longest day, so I always try to do something to mark the occasion. A walk or an evening picnic on the beach if I can. If the weather is fine, just eating outdoors to make the most of the extra daylight hours is such a treat, possibly with this chocolate cake which works equally well with gluten free flour (see below)!
Chocolate Cake For Big Occasions (or just because)
I'm not sure where this recipe came from! It's so easy to make, I think I found it online and just scribbled the recipe down, so thank you to whoever originally put it together, it's divine!
Line two 8" sandwich tins and heat your oven to 180°C.
1.Blend 50g of cocoa powder with 6 tbsp of boiling water in a mixing bowl.
2. Then mix in 3 large eggs, 50ml of milk, 175g of SR flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 100g of softened butter and 275g of caster sugar. For gluten free, use gluten free flour, an extra tsp of gluten free baking powder and if you flour doesn't already contain it, 1/4 tsp of xanthum gum.
3. Beat until you have a smooth, thick batter.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins and level the surface. Cook for 25 mins or until the cake springs back when prodded! Cool on a rack.
5. Then heat 150g of broken plain chocolate with 50ml of double cream in a bowl over a pan of boiling water until it's melted and combined. If it separates whisk it frantically until it thickens. It will thicken as it cools so wait until it's spreadable.
6. Sandwich the two cakes together and spread the chocolate ganache on top. Sometimes I also put jam or fruit in the middle, raspberries are very good with the chocolate. It just depends on the occasion and your inclination.
7. Share with friends and family - the easiest cake ever!
If you have any questions or comments about this article please feel free to get in touch with us, and do please post pictures of your baking and purchases on our social media pages. Find us on Facebook or Instagram.
To join our community and access all our free downloadable images and ideas, sign up to our newsletter here.
You'll also received early notice of sales, new products, gift ideas, recipes, workshops and events! So don't hesitate to sign up. Click here.
Leave a comment